3 Nov 2009

The Grand Infatuation

Ever since I saw BBC's adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, the infatuation was a fact. I was but 15. Mr Darcy was, and still is, my grandest crush, ever. Who could resist his smoldering eyes, brooding looks and dark tall frame? Elizabeth Bennet sure couldn't, and neither could I. Or was it Colin Firth that did me in?

I read the book. To tell the truth, I hadn't before I saw the tv series. And, no, it was not just Colin Firth's dark handsome face that sent my blood racing. It was Mr Darcy. Though, Mr Firth's face was attached to my vision of Mr Darcy of course. He will always be my Mr Darcy no 1.

A few have tried to take the roll as Mr Darcy, but none, according to me that is, has succeeded to outshine Colin Firth. First we had Matthew Mcfadyen in the filmversion from 2005. Very handsome, sure, but not Colin Firth. Perhaps it was my aversion towards Keira Knightley as Elizabeth that tainted my experience of the movie. I mean, you cannot go wrong with such a great novel. Although the proposal in the rain was way, way, hotter than the one in BBC's version. Seriously, almost kissing in the rain is always hot. And the urgent look on Macfadyen's face, and even in Knightley's, when they almost kiss, is kind of priceless. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

Then we have Bollywood's attempt to adapt the great novel into the big screen. Not a regency version this time, but modern day India. I kind of liked it. Martin Henderson was not too bad as Mr Darcy from America. But still, it is the era that does it, I think. The whole empiric dress and all that. Cravat and hats... *sighs*

I think the latest in the Pride and Prejudice adaptations and versions (which I have seen, aparently there is one from 2003, modern version that I have missed. Must correct asap!) is Lost in Austen, where the main carachter Amanda switches places with Elizabeth Bennet by accident and soon finds herself in the novel itself. Elliot Cowan is a very good Mr Darcy. And the wet-shirt-scene from BBC's adaptation is mimicked, at Amanda's suggestion of course. I liked it. I mean, who wouldn't want to be trapped inside one of one's favourite books of all time? And who wouldn't want to be courted by Mr Darcy? I sure wouldn't object. My hubbie might. :P And I probably wouldn't be able to be away from my son for long, either.

Of course, I could mention Becoming Jane in this discussion, but I won't. that is a different infatuation all together. I will pester you with that later. :P

Needless to say, I am a hopeless romantic, and I suspect that Miss Jane Austen has something to do with that. Or perhaps it was my mother's Barbara Cartland's and Harlequin's that lay in that big box in the closet that I use to borrow and devower in an instant. Perhaps not the best litterature choice for a young girl, but I was already lost... Maria Gripe had already seen to that (not sure if you have heard of her outside of Scandinavia but she's great). Apparently I favour perodic drama.

The pics:
Colin Firth and Matthew Macfadyen is borrowed from Austen for Beginners.
Martin Henderson is borrowed from Channel 4
Elliot Cowan is borrowed from Fan Pop.

No comments: